Friday, March 4, 2011

favors

Almost have the computer lab set up. We have one more trip to make to the repair man and then some OS installations to do and everything should be ready for the students to use. I cant wait to start teaching. Everybody here has been telling me what a blessing it is having me here. People are so poor here that every little thing that you do for them seems like a miracle.

When I buy a school child books to continue their education to me its only 20 dollars but to them it means the difference whither their family continues to live in poverty for another generation or not. Students are so desperate for school funds that many girls turn to prostitution. I visited a girls secondary school in the region and they were having a parent day on campus meeting. During the meetings they stressed to the parents to supply them with what they need for school. They also talked about the high pregnancy rate among the girls and found out by talking to the girls that sometimes they would do 'favors' for men to get some extra cash to stay in school. I talked to some more people and found out that this even occurs in the primary schools. The parents just cannot afford anything really. There is much starvation in the region now do to the recent draught and elections in Uganda which just exacerbates everything.

What I have been scratching my head about constantly is what is the solution to these problems that the people here face. How do you create a system of sustainable income for these people that can lift them out of their poverty? I want to see computers and the internet as a solution to creating jobs. Maybe they can do some work online and get paid for it. I don't know.

I don't want to sound too morose though. Despite all the troubles people here still laugh and joke with each other. They are friendly and upbeat despite their poverty. They like seeing foreigners here because they feel that they can help them. They love America here too. They are proud that President Barrack Obama's father came from Kenya and they tell me to go visit his cousin's house about 50 km away. I will.

This morning we did the feeding program for the orphans and widows in the community that Huruma House supports. We got sacks of maize and beans and distrubted them out to all the people that came. Huruma House sends money for this every month and without that many people would not have any food at all. They are so thankful for this that it brings tears to the eyes.

It is increadible what a difference you can make in people's lives here when you walk around with a fat wallet. There are so many opportunities to help and give. You want to help them all. It seems that for every 1 oprhan there are 5 more. Every one of them is worth it.

There was one baby boy that we came across that was sick with malaria. Malaria is a disease transmitted by mosquitos and is the number one killer in the region. He looked up at me with big glossy eyes and I could not bear to leave him. He was staying with his grandmother and a few young sibliings. They did not even have a hut to sleep in. They slept out in the open all 7 of them on one raggidly old couch. He is staying with us now while we take him to the doctor to get shots. I don't want to bring him back to where he lives but he is not ours and we have to return him. He does not talk yet but understands some Lughya. Last night I had a dream where he started talking. I want to see him when he does. We gave the grandmother some extra food for him and on Saturday after seeing the doctor I will bring him back to her...

1 comment: