Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Got the motorcycle and have been zipping around in it visiting different schools. It looks like I am going to be teaching computers at Malanga Secondary School. It is a developing school but luckily they already have a computer lab except I am meeting with the principal this afternoon to verify the schedule. I think thatthey have no computer teacher. I also offered to teach English and Mathematics and being computer literate will open up future job opportunities for the students. The teachers also want to learn how to use the computers.

I have been playing football with the primary school children in the afternoons and they play twice as good as me besides being half the height. Met some of the local Bwaliro youths at the football field that shared some of their concerns with me. Unemployment is high here in Kenya which causes a lot of young people to join gangs or become prostitutes. Bwaliro is a very poor region with little education. It is common for many students to not go to Secondary School due to lack of funds. Many parents face issues of choosing whither to put food on the table or paying school clothes and books for their children. Survival comes first. I hope if we build something such as a posho mill or a computer café that we can employ some of the youths to help in the construction.

I am sorry there are no pictures on my blog. It is because the internet is quite slow and can’t handle uploading pictures. I have to travel to the border town Busia which is 1.5 hours to get faster internet. My facebook has some photos up though they took half an hour to upload them.

Things in general are going great. Everyone is very welcoming and like teaching me Swahili and Lughya. Lughya is the local tribal language of the region and Swahili the lingua franca of Eastern Africa. I have been learning so much and I can’t wait to start teaching…

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you bought your own motorcycle! Great idea. I'm so glad to hear that you found a place to teach. May God bless you with divine strength, with wisdom, with courage, and with joy in your work.

    ReplyDelete